Friday, June 10, 2016

Latin American Revolutions: Crash Course World History #31





Published on Aug 23, 2012
In which John Green talks about the many revolutions of Latin America in the 19th century. At the beginning of the 1800s, Latin America was firmly under the control of Spain and Portugal. The revolutionary zeal that had recently created the United States and had taken off Louis XVI's head in France arrived in South America, and a racially diverse group of people who felt more South American than European took over. John covers the soft revolution of Brazil, in which Prince Pedro boldly seized power from his father, but promised to give it back if King João ever returned to Brazil. He also covers the decidedly more violent revolutions in Mexico, Venezuela, and Argentina. Watch the video to see Simón Bolívar's dream of a United South America crushed, even as he manages to liberate a bunch of countries and get two currencies and about a thousand schools and parks named after him.

12 comments:

Dennis Estrada said...

It is fascinating to observe the development of the region by analyzing the similarities and differences between the colonies of both Iberian Empires. A clear example of this can be found in the revolution period of independence wars and how these were handled by the European crowns. How different would things have been in Spanish America if King Jöao's example would have been followed.

Unknown said...

I feel that this video is extremely education because it gives you an in-depth synopsis of Latin American Revolutions. John Green mentioned that this subject was quite difficult to understand which probably why I never understood it in high school. But one thing that I can say is that I would definitely recommend this video to anyone wanting to learn about Latin America revolutions and civilizations.

Natalie Borowski said...

This video by John Green was very interesting to watch about the Latin American Revolutions. I find this subject a little difficult to comprehend so watching this video was a helpful insight on what will be taught in class.

Unknown said...

I think it's cool to learn how everything developed to where we are now. These videos make it interesting and makes it easier to understand what actually went on during these times. John Green is amazing at these videos and I hope he keeps on making them.

Dayde Moreno said...

I really enjoyed this video because it helped me understand a little better some of the aspects we covered in class. It is also very interesting to see the development of certain things during Latin American Revolution.

Unknown said...

Very glad I watched this video, I've been meaning to give a little more research on Latin American Revolution. John Green really knows how to lecture without being boring! Couldn't help but giggle throughout this video, love his humor!

Unknown said...

I love John Green so much, and not only his books but videos like these are soo interesting! He explained Latin American Revolution very well without making me fall asleep hahah. I can't wait to see more of his videos.

Unknown said...

I use crash course throughout the school year and I feel as if it helps me understand the subjects I do not get better. It's also good for last minute cramming! 😂

Unknown said...

This crash course video really taught me many things mentioned about the explanation of the Latin American Revolution. Also, he makes it exciting to learn about new things without making it boring.

Unknown said...

Latino power !!!!! Crash course doesn't really work for me, I'm the type that I need to really put focus on what I'm studying if not i won't learn. But this was interesting, its learning without it being boring!

Jason Madrid - ISS1120MDCKENDALL said...

I love the crash course series, I just wished he talked a little slower.

Damaris Francis said...

i love the thought bubble.