Sunday, October 12, 2014

Latin American Revolutions: Crash Course World History #31

Published on Aug 23, 2012

In which John Green talks about the many revolutions of Latin America in the 19th century. At the beginning of the 1800s, Latin America was firmly under the control of Spain and Portugal. The revolutionary zeal that had recently created the United States and had taken off Louis XVI's head in France arrived in South America, and a racially diverse group of people who felt more South American than European took over. John covers the soft revolution of Brazil, in which Prince Pedro boldly seized power from his father, but promised to give it back if King João ever returned to Brazil. He also covers the decidedly more violent revolutions in Mexico, Venezuela, and Argentina. Watch the video to see Simón Bolívar's dream of a United South America crushed, even as he manages to liberate a bunch of countries and get two currencies and about a thousand schools and parks named after him.


9 comments:

Arisbel Riveo said...

I really enjoyed watching this crash course episode in class. I feel that we should watch more of them as they relate to future chapters. John Green makes key historical facts entertaining, yet it is though to capture it all at once since he goes talking so fast.

Nicole Pratt said...

How this guy is able to cram so much information into this amount of time is pretty amazing. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if all of our teachers were able to teach lectures like this. Sign me up for that 10 minute class!! It was enjoyable, informative, and it made me laugh so I would recommend this to anyone.

Unknown said...

I find these videos very interesting we should watch more of them in class. Again here the video shows the Catholic church having great power over the people and their everyday lives.

Marcella Azcona said...

I think more of these crash course videos should be integrated into our class. Slides are informative, but it is too many words. These videos make learning history more fun and to the point.

Unknown said...

Funny how I was going through youtube and came across this video for some information for my essay. And it's on your blog!

Unknown said...

Very fast and informative video. I personally enjoyed hearing about Simon Bolivar and his heroics. Even though he didn't accomplish his goals he still regarded highly.

Unknown said...

I really liked this crash course and found it entertaing and informative at the same time. I would love to see more videos like this in class.

Unknown said...

I loved this video, I've seen it 3 times already and I learned a lot from it. He makes it really interesting. It's funny how he makes fun of Napoleon many times in the film.

Unknown said...

This crash course thing was so entertaining in class. It was silly but it definitely did the job